Friday, November 19

Kamo-Kochems Awards Categories/Nominations

Best Popcorn Flick
For this category, you’ve gotten take in what film was the most worth seeing in theaters. The majority of the movies we see each year are in the confines of our own home/bathroom while we’re doing homework/relaxing/sleeping/fucking/shitting (you get the idea), but which movie this year was the best to see on the big screen?

Now, we will take into account some films that either Mike or myself did not see in theatres, but based on the quality of the film we should be able to gauge how much more enjoyable it would’ve been in a theatre. For example, I watched Avatar a few months ago, first time since it was in theatres. My grade for the film would drop from a 4 to a 3, maybe even 2.5, since much of the positives I saw in it were the 3D, the sound, and just how awe-inspiring it was in a theatre. At home on my shitty laptop with a bottle of whiskey next to me and Mario Kart 64 in the other room, it just wasn’t so hot.

So what movie this year really blew you away? Off the top of my head, I know I’ll be considering Iron Man 2, RED, Inception, and Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. These were some of the most fun movies I saw in theatres this year. I may also include Prince of Persia and Kick-Ass, two films I saw, but on DVD. If I get urged enough, whether by our loyal followers or some other phenomena (and yes, I consider us having followers a phenomena), I’d think that The Losers, The A-Team, A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010), Robin Hood, Get Him to the Greek, Knight and Day, The Expendables, Salt, Machete, Buried, Jackass 3D, Paranormal Activity 2, Skyline, and Unstoppable are all potential contenders. In rereading that list, I think Knight and Day and The Expendables are the two I’ll almost certainly see for this category.

If you think I’ve missed any, please feel free to add and suggest!

Biggest Disappointment
While I was very tempted to do worst movie, I think it’s even more insulting to say what film disappointed me most this year. This means that Valentine’s Day (yeah… I saw it) isn’t a shoe in because I didn’t expect anything out of the movie other than two hours of garbage (and for the record it actually was better than I thought, which is saying that my piss tastes better than I thought, I still wanna vomit afterward). This would also exclude any Twilight films, had I seen them, since I don’t have any respect for them anyways.

I think any movie in this category required me to have some enthusiasm about seeing it, even if it’s just a glimmer of hope. I thought Prince of Persia was going to be the next Pirates of the Caribbean, but Jerry Bruckheimer really fucked me over there. However, I don’t feel like it was all that bad of a movie either. So it’s a balance of anticipation and nausea for the final project. Cop Out is another movie I’m going to consider.

Going through the list of movies I saw this year actually just made nauseous as to how many of them were
really bad. Here’s what I’ll be considering for this category. If you disagree feel free to plead your case, whether it be against me thinking the film is bad or against me thinking it could’ve been good. Cop Out, Alice in Wonderland, The Bounty Hunter, Clash of the Titans, Date Night, Prince of Persia, and Dinner for Schmucks.

Here are some films I haven’t seen but might force myself to view, as a duty to this category and the beloved blog you follow: The Wolfman, The Crazies (Fuck you, Steve, this movie was great! ...sort of), Death at a Funeral, MacGruber, Jonah Hex, Grown Ups, The Last Airbender, I’m Still Here (This could never disappoint me, Steve. Joaquin Phoenix rapping? Solid GOLD), Devil, Hereafter, Little Fockers, Tron: Legacy.

I’m getting sick already thinking about these films. If you’ve got any you think belong on this list feel free to suggest them! 

Best Film to Watch Under the Influence
When Steve came to me with the idea of an awards show/post and asked me to think of two categories, my immediate idea was, "What movie did I watch this year while I was super drunk/high and LOVED?" This category can be tricky, because seeing a movie sober is very different from seeing a movie NOT sober (Alice in Wonderland is a perfect example). Also, this could include just about any movie... I'm sure if I was stoned, Dinner for Schmucks would have been incredible (maybe no.t, it was pretty bad). Well anyhow, I present to you the best films of 2010 to watch under the influence of [insert booze/drug of choice here]:

Inception (You KNOW it was better if you were high), Get Him to the Greek, Shutter Island, Alice in Wonderland (Oh God, it was amazing...), Jackass 3D (I pissed myself and threw up, and NOT from the booze), Saw 3D, Megamind, True Grit (This film was meant to be seen with a belly full of whiskey, and you know it), Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, Toy Story 3, Iron Man 2 (I fell asleep in the theater due to too much beer), The Book of Eli, Hot Tub Time Machine (Oh God, so funny) and that about does it, unless you guys have any other suggestions?

Best Comedy
I prefer comedy movies over any other genre, so this was an obvious choice for me. I go to the movies to be entertained and nothing entertains me more than seeing a guy get kicked in the balls by a donkey (Thank you, Jackass 3D). That being said, there really weren't too many good comedies out this year. I could be clever and add Devil and say it was so bad it was funny, but I'm going to stick to films that were intended to be funny in the first place... here's the list!

Get Him to the Greek (This is the one new film I've see this year that I can remember not being able to breathe because I was laughing so hard), It's Kind of a Funny Story, Jackass 3D, Toy Story 3, Grown Ups, Cop Out, She's Out of My League, Hot Tub Time Machine, Date Night, Death at a Funeral and MacGruber.

Right off the bat, my top 3 are Get Him to the Greek, Hot Tub Time Machine and Jackass 3D (in that order). If I forgot any, let me know in the comments section.

Best Film of the Year
I don't think we need to really go in depth on the explanation with this one... or maybe we do. This is the film that is judged to be the best released in 2010 in terms of story, plot, entertainment and anything else Steve thinks of that I didn't touch on.

Lesser Awards
Steve and I (mostly Steve) thought up of a few awards that, while not as serious, should probably be addressed in our consideration for films of 2010. First up, the Steven Seagal Award for Best Fight Scene in a movie. We also have the Shoulda-Seen-It Award for the movie that Steve and I wish we would have seen, but unfortunately didn't get a chance to. The Dolph Lundgren Award, while similar to the Steven Seagal Award, judges the Best Action Film. Other categories might be added (I want to throw Worst Steve Carrell Movie out there) but the categories mentioned today is what we'll be judging as of right now.

Let us know if we should add anything in the comments section!

1 comment:

  1. Haha, how bout instead of Worst Carell Movie we do the Biggest Whore award, given to the actor who wouldn't get his face off the screen this year. On second thought, let's call it the Rob Schneider Award

    ReplyDelete

Comments?