Tuesday, January 11

Kamo/Kochems Mini-Awards!

BONUS TIME!

Aside from the more serious awards we give out (Best Film, etc.), Steve and I decided to come up with some lesser, but much more fun awards to share with you guys. From Best Moustache to Best Fight Scene, we touch on all the bases here!

Dolph Lundgren Award (Best Action Movie) 
Mike: Up first is the Dolph Lundgren award for Best Action Movie. I select The Expendables. 
Steve: It's too over the top and I refuse to reward that, I'm picking Red.
M: But we're talking about pure action, The Expendables is probably the definition of an action movie!
S: Yeah, but Red is an awesome satire of an action movie, while being an awesome action movie... when in doubt pick Malkovich.

Steven Segal Award (Best Fight Scene)
S: Hmm, I gotta go with the hallway fight scene in Inception.
M: I'm going with the Rob Riggle/Ashton Kutcher scene from The Killers. Lots of action, funny, and it was fun to watch. I liked the Hallway fight scene because I thought it was really unique and fresh. I could go either way on this one. Rob Riggle was funny to watch though- not a guy you think of when you think about fighting/action. 
S: Had I dragged myself to the theater to see that shlock, I probably would agree with you. 
M: It was just too ridiculous. With Inception, it was very Matrix-like. Gordon-Levitt showed that he could beat some ass.

David Hasselhoff Award (Best Chase/Running Scene)
M: I'm choosing a scene from Salt, where Jolie is in an SUV and beating all kinds of ass while driving said SUV.
S: Again, another movie I didn't deem worthy to see, though this one I somewhat regret... I've gotta go with possibly the best moment of 2010 cinema, When The Rock and Sam Jackson chase down the villains in The Other Guys, only to take an overly confident jump.
M: I forgot about that one! Yeah, that was pretty epic, but Jolie steered a car with a bad guys head. Again, I could go with either on this one.
S: I guess next time I see what seems to be a generic action movie I should take the chance and see it.
M: Well, I'm sure they're gonna make another one, the ending was pretty open.

The Hindsight Award (Shoulda Seen but Couldn't - Wide Release) 
S: Well I just admitted I'd wish I saw Salt, the same can be said about The Expendables... but one movie I was really upset I missed this year was The American with George Clooney- from what I heard it was highly underrated.
M: I heard The American was good, but the one movie I really wish I would have seen was The Social Network. All the buzz... I heard good and bad about it, but I would have liked to make my own decision on the outcome.
S: True, I just think The American might've been more along my taste. 
M: Yeah, you're a Clooney fan. I kinda wish I would have seen The Town as well.
S: Yup, but we only get to pick one.
M: haha true. I'm going with The Social Network.
S: The American for me.

Proof-That-We-Need-Funding Award (Shoulda Seen but Couldn't - Limited Distribution)
M: I'm going with 127 Hours. Heard it was awesome, great story and James Franco is great.
S: Again, can't disagree with you, but I'm going to go more limited here and pick Biutiful with Javier Bardem in his darkest role since No Country for Old Men.
M: I didn't hear too much about that one, I'll have to wait until it's out on DVD before I see it.
S: It's dark, it's gritty, it's Indie, so of course I'd love it.
M: Sure. It's a good thing Black Swan got a wide release.
S: And The Fighter.
M: Yeah, grateful for that one.

The Surprise Trust Fall Award (Most Shocking Twist in a Movie) 
S: I'm gonna give us our first two time winner here and pick when The Rock and Sam Jackson jump off the roof in The Other Guys- I still laugh thinking about it. 
M: haha good call. Shutter Island and Inception could be up here, but I think I'm gonna go with 'Oh shit, he's fucking BLIND' from Book of Eli. Denzel is a beast.
S: Ah, another great one. I love when he bumps into the table, such a subtly hint real early in the film but makes a ton of sense the second time around. 
M: Yeah, there was another part where Mila Kunis and Denzel were walking up to the cannibals house, and he sort of tripped/kicked the bottom step.
S: It makes you think maybe Denzel is just getting sloppy with his acting, but nay sir, nay.

The Diamond in the Turd Award (Best Acting in a Shitty Movie)
M: I'm going with Bruce Willis in Cop Out. 
S: Ugh, that isn't fair because Cop Out was so shitty, it's like finding a good blueberry in a completely shitty pie... I've gotta pick Robert Downey Jr. in Due Date. 
M: Good call, I might have to switch and go with RDJ as well. I thought Tracy Morgan was funny in Cop Out and Willis was pretty good too, but yeah. RDJ wins for me as well. 
S: I think we're just better off not rewarding Cop Out with any awards whatsoever. 
M: haha what about Best Movie Featuring the Parkour of Sean William Scott? 
S: I actually went on IMDB in the hopes of finding another movie he did this year, but since Cop Out is the only one I guess we've gotta give it that. 
M: I'll be sure to add it in.

The Lebowski Award (Movie with Most Quotable Potential) 
S: Honestly I thought we lacked a good one this year, but since I've gotta pick I'd go with Red- gotta see how the second viewing does though since that's where you find the real gems.
M: Since I didnt see Red, I'm going with Get Him to the Greek... So many funny lines. "My house is gonna look like a fuckin Werewolf" was the funniest from a very funny P. Diddy. 
S: Ah, well that had an unfair advantage of the voice of a generation, or is that Kanye? 
M: Kanye is a poet and the voice of a generation. He is the both the modern day Bob Dylan and John Lennon. 
S: Oh yeah... right, okay well ten times outta ten I'll take John Malkovich as my voice instead.

Magnum P.I. Award (Best Cop Moustache)
M: Tom Selleck in The Killers. 
S: Are you kidding? I don't even have a rebuttal. You said it all. Selleck > Other Moustaches. 
M: Tom Selleck is the moustache of a generation 
S: He's the Moustache of the Millenia.

Final Word 

S: Overall I was quite satisfied with 2010 Films as a whole. While it had a fair share of stinkers, I think the quality films out weighted the crappy ones. In 2011, I can instantly say my most anticipated film is Thor, but I can't wait to get this new year blogging underway.

M: I would agree. While there were a lot of movies I was disappointed with (most comedies), I think films like True Grit, Toy Story 3, The Expendables, Jackass 3D and many others made up for it. I'm excited for 2011, namely the new JJ Abrams flick Super 8. Also, Thor is gonna be fucking epic. Can't wait to start writing new blog posts.

2 comments:

  1. Back to Book of Eli, when they walked up to the cannibals house, there was that sign that said 'Absolutely No Trespassing' and the old couple asked if they saw the sign, and Denzel responded with 'We're very sorry...I didn't see it'

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha yeah. I can't think of too many other parts that hinted at it really. Great movie

    ReplyDelete

Comments?