Thursday, February 17

Potpourri: Steve Plays a Game Against Himself

So my last semester has started and of course, it's been non-stop work (ok, kind of a lie, I have showered once or twice). And poor Mike started a new job so he hasn't had time to do much reviewing anyhow.

But if I'm being honest with you all, January and February aren't normally stellar months for movies, with the exception of limited distribution Oscar nom's that finally go wide. Seriously, look up the numbers... the highest rated film on RottenTomatoes.com with wide distribution this year was Justin Bieber: Never Say Never with a 68%. I'm not kidding (though I did hear it was actually pretty good...), click the link and scroll to the bottom. It's also shows some real winners, like Season of the Witch (4%) and The Roommate (6%), a rating so low it would actually be admirable of you if you could find someone who liked those films.

My original plan for this post was to steal this idea from an article MSN posted about "should" and "will" win at the Oscar's, which was pretty well done until I realized they were basically just kissing The Social Network's ass. Now, as you all know, we've already had our 2010 Film Awards, which are clearly more important and accurate than the Oscars.

So instead, I'm gonna look ahead to the coming weeks and see if there is anything worth getting out into the snow to see. Usually January and February don't entice me too much, but things kick up in March. Let's see how long I can stay out of the theater.

(NOTE: I'll only be looking at wide releases, I could talk about limited's all day but I've got things to do.)

Ok, starting with tomorrow (February 18), we have I Am Number Four, Unknown, and Big Mommas House: Like Father Like Son.

I don't even know what to say, I can't commit or repute the first two, but the trailers are less than stellar. And the third, well, Martin Lawrence has officially joined Eddie Murphy in my book.

(Though I did get a laugh out of this, early screenings from RottenTomatoes have posted a 0% rating, which is unheard of and means Season of the Witch is 4x better than this movie... Wow.)

Moving on...

February 23 we've got Hall Pass and Drive Angry.

Hall Pass might be funny, but odds are it'll fall short of my minor expectations. As for Drive Angry... it's revenge movie (so usually pretty good... see Taken), but it's also a Nicholas Cage movie... so how the hell should I know! For every Raising Arizona, he's got a Wicker Man. Leaving Las Vegas, Season of the Witch. National Treasure, National Treasure 2. It's a crap shoot there.

Into March, we've got Rango and the Adjustment Bureau.

Like I said, in March things start to pick up and some decent movies come around. Rango has some appeal, especially since animated films have been trending toward more adult audiences (thanks to Pixar), and this one might be the most adult of all. As for the Adjustment Bureau, Damon's got cred in my book so I'd consider seeing it just because of him, but it might be too much paranoia for me, a la Enemy of the State ten years later.

So, still nothing gonna drag me outta the house. How bout March 11th?

Red Riding Hood, Battle: Los Angeles, and Mars Needs Mom's.

Mars Needs Mom's might be something I'd see if I had kids, but I don't. And I can't stand Seth Green outside of being Scott Evil. Pass.

Red Riding Hood intrigues me, but only so much as many horror movies have in recent memory, only to let me down. Catherine Hardwicke directed Twilight... I'm not going to be fooled this time.

Now, Battle: Los Angeles has more cred then many people think I would give it. Aaron Eckhart isn't quite at Damon's cred level, but I have respect for the man to not take part in a generically shitty film. At first glance, I'd say it could be this generation's Independence Day... but upon further review, it's directed by Jonathan Liebesman, the genius behind the Texas Chainsaw Massacre prequel and Darkness Falls... Eckhart, it would've never worked between us anyhow.

Ugh, it's getting stuffy in here... I've been cooped up since True Grit was release! Someone help me!

Okay, moving on. March 18 we've got Paul, Limitless, and The Lincoln Lawyer.

Limitless seems that it will be part of a pattern. Take a hot new actor (Bradley Cooper, and hot in marketability not physically, though who can resist that smile...) and pair him with an older but still well-known actor (Robert DeNiro) and watch the magic happen! Not so much, I'd definitely have to hear good things before I went out for this one.

The Lincoln Lawyer is a Matthew McConaughey film.

And finally we have Paul, which I hadn't heard a thing about until now. Simon Pegg and crew teaming with Seth Rogen and Jason Bateman? Yes please! Though, after reviewing the trailer, I do think it lacks some depth and might be just a movie made to get a bunch of fun actors together and dick around (a la Strange Wilderness, Couples Retreat)

Well, one week left...

March 25, we have The Beaver, Sucker Punch, and Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2

Technically the Beaver comes out March 23, but nevertheless it's a film directed by Jodie Foster starring Mel Gibson. (I'm laughing a little inside and it's getting hard to suppress it) I'm sorry for laughing, it's just poor Mel... Poor anti-semetic Mel...

Now Sucker Punch would be something I'd get out to see, Zach Snyder's wow'd before with 300 and Dawn of the Dead, but rumors are that early test screenings said the film were not so hot. And I might not yet be over the bland and snore-filled Watchmen.

As for Diary of a Wimpy Kid, I heard the first was pretty good, and most of the cast and crew should be returning (I'm not sure, at this point I got to lazy to look anything else up). So maybe if I get forced into watching the first one I might make it out for this... The forecast is doubtful though.

Doubtful until the snow melts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?