Saturday, September 18

The Round-Up!

By Steve Kochems

Alright folks, it’s been a busy few weeks. I’m broke and swamped with outside activities, keeping me from my beloved blog. So, basically I’m going to do a brief blurp about a few significant movies that have come out in the last few weeks. Most of the mainstream hits will be up there, though I don’t know that you’ll want to hear what I’ve gotta say. Plus, a few movies that I really wished I could get to a theater to see, even if I have to sneak in. Ready, break!

Easy A

Alright, I do like Emma Stone, and not just for looks. She’s shown some good talent in the comedic in Superbad and more importantly, Zombieland. I’ve heard this is basically a modern take on Nathaniel Hawthorne’s The Scarlet Letter. And I’m completely okay with that. She more or less is branded a whore and deals with that reputation in high school, so it’s a pretty standard high school flick for that matter. I don’t think it’ll blow me away, but it certainly has the potential to be one of the better films of the year.
 
Projected: 3.5 out of 5

The Town

Who doesn’t like to mock Ben Affleck? Seriously, for the most part he is quite awful. However he is the director behind Gone Baby Gone, which if you haven’t seen is quite good. The Town seems like a decent enough thriller with heavy Boston accents (I’m hoping Departed heavy) but leaves me with a single worry. The trailer seems to reveal too much information, so ultimately the film can now go two ways. It either has shown too much and will ultimately be a letdown, or it has another ace up its sleeve somewhere. I’m inclined to think the former, but I should give him the benefit of the doubt based on the aforementioned film. I hope for the latter.

Projected: 4 out of 5

Devil

First things first, Shy-a-malayan did not direct this picture, but was a producer. So with him and George Lucas out of the director’s chair, we are one step further from this twist being aliens. Thank God. However, this film does have a chance. Anyone who has discussed it with me in person has seen the brilliant thematic possibilities that I see in this movie. But then I watched the new trailer and there’s a demon or something in the elevator. Fuck. So like The Town, I think this film has a chance. Unfortunately it’s about as good as the Bills winning 8 games this year. And if it fails, it’s going to fail hard. Sorry Shammy.

Projected: 1 out of 5

Resident Evil: Afterlife

I’ve never been a fan of this. I’m also not a huge fan of 3D. And I’ve never played the video games. Do you really think I’m going to expect big things? Not at all. But it could be B-Movie fun at its best. A series of films that has gone as long as this, and to their credit maintained the same lead, usually doesn’t draw great expectations from its audience. So if you’re a fan of them, you probably don’t care what I think about it. Otherwise, don’t expect much.

Projected: 2 out of 5

The American

This is where I’m going to split with a lot of folks. The trailers are trying to push it off as this assassin suspense thriller, but the truth is it’ll really be a very humane character piece. And George Clooney is the man for that. He, and the film, could be put in Oscar contention after what has been a lackluster year in solid films. I can’t tell you much that the trailer hasn’t, but if you like Clooney and can deal with a film that savors each moment (what some might call a boring and slow pace), this will be a real treat.

Projected: 4.5 out of 5

Machete

B-Movie fun at its finest? Yeah, this is the one for that. Based on a fake trailer that debuted a few years back, this might be what everyone hoped MacGruber was. I won’t expect a good deal from it, but what I will expect is blood and bad action lines. Machete can deliver that.

Projected: 3 out of 5

Going the Distance

God, I hate romantic comedies. I also hate Drew Barrymore. So, to put it briefly, I will probably hate this movie. The saving grace could only be Charlie Day (Mike: I heard it was! Now I have to see it...), but I doubt it.

Projected: 0.5 out of 5

The Black Swan

From immense hate to immense love. Black Swan, I’ve heard, is a masterpiece of sexual tension and struggle with the perfect cast to do it (not my words either). Vincent Cassel and Mila Kunis both seem to be at the top of their game, but what really drives this movie for me is Natalie Portman. Now, I realize that some of you have been led to believe in some fascination that I seem to have with her, but this is completely objective when I say that based on the word of mouth and the provocative trailer, she’ll be in Oscar contention. Now, this is a movie about ballet which will deter some. It certainly would for me normally but it seems that it hits on many other levels (including Mila Kunis and Natalie Portman making out? It’s the rumor!). I can’t judge it until I see it, but the trailer does give a glimpse of what could be the best film of the year. I am really excited to see this one.


Projected: 5 out of 5

127 Hours

Ok, for those of you who don’t know, this film is based on the true story of Aron Ralston (played by James Franco) who spent 127 hours trapped in the mountains. When I heard this would be a film, I sighed. Then I heard Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire) would be directing. Then I heard James Franco, who has more acting chops than he’s given credit for, would be the lead. Now it has my attention. The overly critical and fairly harsh RopeofSilicon.com gave it a good grade. While this is usually a good sign, I can’t help but look back and remember that they also gave the newly booted Clash of the Titans a B+, which is a very generous offer to even review that film in the first place. So I don’t know what to expect out of this movie, it has all the parts in place and a decent enough premise, ultimately powered by the fact that the story is about a real triumph of one man, but I don’t know that it will blow me away. Unlike Black Swan, I don’t think I’ll drive to see this limited release, but if it comes up nearby I would probably stop in. Again, big potential but don’t let that cloud what you’ve seen about the movie.


Projected: 3.5 out of 5

1 comment:

  1. I'll be seeing Devil and Resident Evil this week, maybe Machete as well. Resident Evil should be dope

    ReplyDelete

Comments?