Tuesday, October 19

Jackass 3D

Reviewed by Mike

First off, who doesn't like this series? Everyone likes to see people fall off of cars or get hit with something in the balls, and Jackass is full of that (I believe America's Funniest Home Videos proved the "nut shot" theory). From the television show to the films, Jackass is full of plenty of awkward moments, guaranteed laughs and a few scenes that leave you saying "oh, that's fucking gross."

Jackass 3D, the latest and greatest installment in the series, hit theaters last Friday and has already grossed over $50-million in its first weekend (Sorry new Katherine Heigl film), and grossed out just as many viewers along the way. The regular cast was back, including stars Johnny Knoxville, Steve-O, Chris Pontius and Bam Margera.

I won't go into too much detail about the film, but I will say this: I found myself saying (out loud, mind you) "oh God, what the fuck..." more times than I can remember while watching this movie. Some of the antics were just too much... but I'm not saying that is a bad thing.

Jackass 3D also had some humorous cameos from random actors/athletes like Sean William Scott, Tony Hawk, Rip Taylor, Weezer and defensive end for the Minnesota Vikings Jared Allen (this was one of the best sketches in the flick, with Knoxville getting absolutely fucking destroyed by this professional NFLer).

There wasn't really a skit (that I can remember at least) that I didn't laugh at, but I did find myself pretty grossed out by a few of them- if you saw the movie, the scene with Preston on the treadmill and Steve-O drinking the "Sweat-Cocktail" was absolutely foul. This is strange because I can usually watch gross stuff with no problem, but like I said, so of the stuff they did was absolutely ridiculous.

While I thought the 3D was a nice touch, and it was needed in some parts- especially the beginning sketch with all the random stuff flying around- I would have enjoyed this movie just as much in regular 2D. The 3D factor gave it that extra bump, but overall it wasn't really needed.

I can't remember who I was discussing the movie with, but they brought up a good point. After the television series and the first two movies, what else is there to do? The same old pranks and ridiculous stunts?

Well, yes. That's really all that there is left to do, but the Jackass crew does it in such an entertaining way that you don't realize that you're (essentially) watching the same thing you've seen over and over again. This movie was over the top in so many different ways, from the 3D cameras used to the super-slow-motion "Rocky" shots, to the intense gross out factor of the different puke, fart and shit sketches to some of the stunts themselves (Ehren getting his tooth pulled out by Bam's Lamborghini... enough said). It was a step in a new direction for the series, but they embraced the same stuff that made them popular in the first place, and that's impressive in its own right.

This film also contained what is probably the funniest sketch in the entire series, movie and television alike. If you've seen it, you'll know what I'm talking about, and if you haven't... I'll say it in three words: midget bar fight. I honestly couldn't stop laughing for maybe 10 minutes, it was that good.

The only real disappointment I had with the movie was the length, which I believe came in around 120 minutes- those two hours really flew by. I'm definitely going to buy the DVD when it comes out, as it will certainly have hours of great bonus footage and skits that never made it to the silver screen, a la Jackass 2.5.

Was I disappointed by this movie? Absolutely not. Would I go see it with my mom? Absolutely not. It's another great addition to the series and I hope to see another before the crew calls it quits.


4.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?