Monday, March 14

Cyrus

by Steve Kochems

Hey Folks! I know, it's the slow season for movies and, as you can tell, Mike and I have been a little tied up. But I was able to head out the other night and redbox a flick I heard a lot about this past year, Cyrus. For $1, why not try it out?

The film follows John (John C. Reilly), a bum who's circling the drain years after his divorce, with his only real friend being his ex-wife Jamie (Catherine Keener) who's planning to get married (to a well-played asshole, Matt Walsh). After some nagging by his ex and her fiance, John agrees to go out to a party with them.

After many drinks and many failed attempts to talk to any woman, he has one of the most awkward and funny meetings with Molly (Marisa Tomei). After a few dates, John thinks this relationship could be the one, but little does he know, at home Molly has an overly (and somewhat Oedipal) son who isn't quite yet ready to yield his mother away, Cyrus (Jonah Hill).

Honestly, I would've paid more than a dollar for this flick. While advertised as this quirky, Step Brothers-esk comedy, Cyrus is certainly not that. The humor isn't dependent on two actors and a sloppy script. Instead, we have a sleek and crisp story that, while lacking in laughs, actually has a surprising amount of heart to it.

I knew Reilly could act, and even lead (see: Chicago, Walk Hard), but the biggest surprises were Hill and Tomei. Their chemistry onscreen is really a sight and refreshing when it comes to a movie like this. That being said, Hill and Reilly still bring a lot of comedy and awkwardness to their scenes and are a tandem worth watching again (though, their few scenes together in Walk Hard are just as good).

I think this is a film I've gotta take a second look at though, since I went in under the impression it was less on heart and more on comedy. That's the best thing I can say to anyone who watches this movie- go in with an open mind and don't expect anything, good or bad. I bet you'll be presently surprised.

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?