Monday, August 2

Dinner for Schmucks

Reviewed by Steve Kochems & Mike Kamrowski

Steve:
This film called for a less intensive review than I normally give, not just because of the content and plot of the film, but because I feel like I’ve narrowed down the fundamental problem that I have with it. However, this flaw is not one I can simply admit to.

It falls into the category of a film trying to balance heart and comedy. Its laughs are ones that come in bunches, with gaps in between that try to be filled with heart and feeling, led by Tim (Paul Rudd). The laughs often come at the expense of Barry (Steve Carrell), an idiot that overshadows Michael Scott by misreading the simplest situations and dressing up dead mice and placing them into romantic settings for his own nostalgia. Alright I’ll be fair, those scenes (including the opening) were adorable, but it runs contrary to the predictable thematic message of the film.

The film also struggles to build tension by not evolving to new problems but rather regurgitating the same ones over and over. It’s becomes a more predictable movie as it progresses and that really drags it down.

If you’re looking for straight laughs, this might be the film for you. A good gauge: how much Michael Scott you can stand in The Office. If you can’t stand him, this isn’t the film for you because very little else is offered up to the audience other than Carrell. Unfortunately, I think the main problem in this film is Rudd. I never thought I’d say that, but he simply looks uncomfortable and tame in this movie. He’s constantly overshadowed by Carrell’s over the top goofiness. He doesn’t have the lax attitude like in Role Model’s or the sexism of Brian Fantana in Anchorman. Instead, Rudd seems to be trapped in a lifeless character that doesn’t really make much of a change in the film.

Overall, I’m torn on what to think about this movie. Being a huge fan of The Office, I laughed every time Carrell opened his mouth, but couldn’t help but notice the flab showing. Unnecessary characters, an imprisoned lead, and a static conflict all seem to drag the film down. In the end though, I found that I still enjoyed the film.

3 out of 5 stars

Mike:
In the latest venture for director/producer Jay Roach (Bruno, Meet the Parents), Paul Rudd plays a character who's one goal is to move up the coporate ladder. He finally gets an opportunity to do just that after his boss invites him to a dinner and explains that each guest must bring someone for the rest of the party to make fun of. To this, Rudd replies "It's a dinner for idiots?" In my opinion, you can replace "dinner" with "movie" and it would prefectly describe Dinner for Schmucks.

Paul Rudd films are usually pretty funny, if not great due to the acting of Rudd, the hilarious storyline and the support of a great cast; I'd say this was the exception. Steve is right on the money with his review: it tried to balance heart and comedy and the scale just wasn't even at the end. Supporting characters (there were a lot) were introduced too rapidly and took up too much screen time- generally, most were unnecessary and didn't do much to move the film along.

I hate The Office and I'm not the biggest Steve Carrell fan (40 Year-Old Virgin and Anchorman being the exceptions) so this movie was very hard for me to sit through. I went into the theater with the mentality of "Oh, Paul Rudd, Steve Carrell and Zach Galifianakis are in a movie together; how could this go wrong?" Looking back, I probably should have just went to see Toy Story 3.

I thought that Carrell's character was just too ridiculous to be believable. He has no common sense and wasn't likable no matter how hard the movie tried. Rudd's character was in the same boat. I found myself thinking "no one is like this in real life" whenever the two were on the screen. The characters and situations just weren't believable to me (Rudd's stalker ex-girlfriend? Come on) and the only reason I was satisfied at the end was the fact that I got to go home.

The only saving grace, in my opinion, was the character of eccentric artist Kieran Vollard played by the very funny Jemaine Clement (Flight of the Conchords). Clement's character is a Gaia loving, self-centered ego-maniac and he plays it prefectly. The absurdity of his art (one giant photograph at his art show is him holding a baby zebra- the ensuing conversation with Paul Rudd's character is hilarious) suits his character perfectly and he delievers some of the films most memorable lines.

Despite the fact that this is the third film Steve Carrell and Paul Rudd have been in together, the third time's not the charm.

2 out of 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. I feel like you said see Toy Story 3 like it was a bad thing? (I suggested it at the ticket booth)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha no, I actually want to see Toy Story 3. Schmucks was a waste of money

    ReplyDelete

Comments?