Wednesday, August 4

What I Watched Wednesday

Hey folks, we've decided to broaden our horizons from just recently released films into our souls of movies that we love. Or ones we just happen to have seen in the last week. So here is the first What I Watched Wednesday post- feel free to ad your thoughts at the bottom and even throw some movies you saw in as well.

Steve watched: Slap Shot!

I walked through Target the other day to get a puzzle so I could drink and be productive on a Monday (don't ask) and came across Slap Shot! in the $5 bin. I don't think I've ever spent a better finski in my life. It was funny when I was 9 and still is now.

Not only does this film bring great physical comedy but it also really brings theatrics and violence in sports to the forfront not only to expose it for the distractions that they are, but openly mock them in an example of how they are ruining sports. Guys like Sean Avery and Ochocinco aren't examples of athletes who excel in a sport but rather in manipulation.

The fact that Slap Shot! was released in 1977 and some of its message still rings true today is one reason it is an old favorite of mine. More importantly, the fact that it maintains this as an underlying theme with a surface of such stupidity and low class humor is perhaps its greatest feat.

Still waiting to buy you that soda Oggie.

Random Comment from Mike: Fucking best hockey movie ever! I just finished reading a book about the WHA (The Rebel League by Ed Willes), which is the hockey league Slap Shot! was based on. Favorite line from the flick? "We're just puttin' on the foil, coach!"

1 comment:

  1. God damn do I love Slap Shot! Paul Newman was epic

    ReplyDelete

Comments?