Saturday, August 14

A Weekend Double Up!

Okay, so I saw two semi-recent DVD releases this weekend and thought I’d share my thoughts on each with you. One I had heard a lot of good things about and was a requirement after they way I blasphemously reviewed Dinner for Schmucks (I still stand by my review, but it hurts too much to say it). The other I had zero interest in seeing (pun) until someone told me how it ended. This obviously ruined much of the film, but had I taken the time to see it I would’ve been pleasantly surprised. Here we go!

I Love You, Man

Alright, if you’re homophobic then you should just skip down because I’m not afraid to say it- I love Paul Rudd. He’s got such a range and likability to him that I cannot explain. He swoons me every scene he’s in. So after I said he was awful in a previous review, I knew I had to go back to something that would reinvigorate my faith in him. Hence, the pinnacle of bromanticism.

The story is a fairly basic romance story in disguise of a comedy (I refuse to admit this is a romantic comedy), with a flipping of the desired gender for Peter (Rudd). He goes through a series of failed attempts to make friends, or man-dates, until finally meeting Sydney (Jason Segel) in what would seem to be fate. They hit it off over a series of broments and, well, you know how romance’s go.

The real surprise to this film is Peter’s sturdy relationship with Zooey (Rashida Jones). Jones brings a soft and comforting feel to the screen and helps pace the plot against the building bro-mentum of Peter and Sydney. Outside of those three, the film splits other characters. Jon Favreau’s ill-tempered Barry and J.K. Simmons, playing Peter’s father, are a treat each time they are on screen. The time given to an annoying Rob Huebel, Peter’s coworker, and a high-pitched comedian who isn’t listed on IMDB’s page for the film is minimal but makes you wish it was less.

All in all, I’m glad to back in the Rudd-boat (get it? Think Asian). It’s a nice balance of heart and comedy that hides its true nature so well that many guys who watch it together with pizza and beer will never realize it’s basically the same idea as two women curling up to When Harry Met Sally and a bucket of iced cream.

4 out of 5 stars

The Book of Eli

When I first saw trailers for this movie, it came in between trailers for The Crazies and Daybreakers. I thought it was a triumvirate of post-apocalyptic garbage that seems to fill theatres every year. At the very least, I never thought it was something to worry about. The world’s only hope is Denzel Washington- alright I’m not worried, I know he’ll get it done. So I was told how it ended and got pissed because while most of the film isn’t much different than the normal doomsday dumpster films coming out each year, it ends up being worthwhile.

Eli (Washington) is seemingly a wanderer who is traveling west and will occasionally kill some bandits. If nothing else, the fight scenes in this film were crisp and quick, no elaborate choreography and very realistic. Eventually, he ends up in a town run by a man named Carnegie (Gary Oldman), who has runners searching everywhere for some book (I wonder where he’ll find it?). Trouble arises when Eli sticks to his mission of going west rather than joining up with Carnegie.

The most intriguing part of this movie to me was lining the effects of religion up against each other. The righteous Eli against the manipulative Carnegie is a nice conflict and a believable one mostly because Carnegie’s intentions are never truly evil or terrible in nature, but are rather a perversion of something pure for a less good. This alleviates the lackluster climax, which also acts as a trade-off for the major twist at the end.

Ultimately, it’s got some nice action and shows serious issues in the religious forum, less abrasively than something like Religulous. Its balance ends up being its flaw (along with its lacking of worthwhile supporting characters outside of Oldman) as it carries enough action to entertain and enough smarts to intrigue. It’s going to lose points because the ending will only surprise you once, but that one time is worth watching for.

3.5 out of 5 stars

1 comment:

  1. First, excellent use of the word "bro" in the I Love You, Man review. Second, Book of Eli was awesome and the end twist was great. Also, Denzel is the fuckin man

    ReplyDelete

Comments?